Sunday 4 April 2010

Day 4 Eastbridge to Stour bridge

I never did find the campsite owner at Eastbridge to pay for my stay... Today started on debris strewn roads and not long after getting off them I had a rear flat. I fixed it without removing the rear wheel - just popped the tyre off and patched the hole. A quartz chip from the wash down. The rest of the morning was a series of small places of no interest. Until i joined the A14 dual carriageway . The map showed what I guess is the old road just the other side of it and I ezpected at least a bike crossing. But no the only option was to join it and ride several miles away from my destination before getting to a junction to get on the old road. At least that bit had a tailwind...
Eventually heading in the right direction I got to Ipswich -the first cycle friendly bridge over the Orwell. The final b road of the day had a strange thing... Suddenly in the middle of nowhere is the Royal Hospital. No explanation.
OK so I finally roll up at the Youth Hostel to be greeted by a sign reading "bookings by appointment only". Feeling pretty tired and having not seen a campsite for the last 10 miles I was a bit stuck for options. I phoned Caroline the warden who told me there had been a cancellation and she opened the hostel for me. So tonight I have a choice of any bed and three showers...
Tomorrow hopefully is Frinton...

1 comment:

  1. Fran wants me to wish you all the best and a good night's sleep - the blog thing won't let her post herself :-(

    ReplyDelete