Wednesday 14 April 2010

Day 14 Brighstone IOW to Swanage

A better day today. After I fixed a rear wheel flat. Last night's thorn flat that I'd fixed had apparently gone through the opposite side of the tube too. Perhaps a disadvantage of suspension... I assumed the feel was just rough roads until it started to slow me down...
Once I'd recovered my GPS I headed along the military road to Freshwater. A local had warned me that it was a long way and hilly but the Glyde enjoyed the better roads and even the tougher climbs with beautiful views of the chalk cliffs were not too bad. They did have no stopping signs so no photo opportunities...
Up to Yarmouth to use the second half of the ferry ticket I bought yesterday. There was time to grab a quick bacon sandwich before the boat arrived. It was a 45 minute trip before getting back on the road.
Barton on sea appeared to be holding the world championships for idle folk wandering down the middle of the road and standing with the driver's door wide open whilst standing with your back to the queueing traffic whilst talking on a mobile phone. Perhaps they all have big insurance policies...
Bournemouth wins the prize for the worst place on my trip. Unhelpful signing to destinations that disappear at the next junction, designed as a car race track, awful road surfaces and magic width reducing cycle routes that then disappear.
Canford cliffs had a rather more sophisticated cafe bar where I had an excellent hot cross bun bread and butter pudding and a coffee. It wasn't cheap but the raspbewrry sauce was so wonderfully tart...
Down to Sandbanks for the chain ferry across the mouth of Poole harbour and the run along quiet roads just serving the ferry to a campsite in Swanage. The price of the site for the night even included use of the pool, not that I'm carring swimwear.
I've been having deteriorating Achilles tendon problems for a few days now. Bah.
Today was only 40 miles but did include two ferries so I guess that isn't really too bad as the wait for the boat was about as long as he actual journey in each case.

No comments:

Post a Comment